Your new company
The Head of Contracting will be responsible for the delivery of specialised road maintenance contracting services across the Island of Ireland and will report to the COO of the Company in Ireland. The Head of Contracting will have responsibility for a team of contracts mangers who may be dedicated to a region or a set of products/services The role will consolidate all existing contracting capabilities into a single function with service delivery through internal contracting crews or through sub-contracting partners. An essential feature of the new contracting function will be to respond to the changing needs of our customer base. The Head of Contracting will also seek to grow revenues from bituminous systems, products and processes including but not limited to Surface Dressing, Colmat, cold mixes, road recycling and jointing and to non-bituminous systems, products and processes including but not limited to delineation (road marking, road studs, signs), civil works and the maintenance and operation of all categories of the roads network. Head of Contracting will be expected to develop and maintain a rolling 5-year contracting strategy. The Head of Contracting will execute his/her responsibilities in compliance with all company wide policies and procedures and will also ensure that his/her teams and partners will also be compliant. The Head of Contracting will fulfil his/her role in full compliance with the law of the land and complete unambiguous adherence to both national and international requirements of corporate compliance.
- Direct, manage and lead all contracting operations in the Republic of Ireland and NI.
- Safety of employees (and our contractors) is our number one priority. Ensure compliance with all Health & Safety (H&S), Environmental and quality standards and ensure in particular the safety of all contracting teams, operating a zero tolerance to unsafe acts and achieving a zero target for fatalities and LTIs.
- Ensure the alignment of contracting operations with strategic direction/vision, balancing short term demands with long term priorities.
- Develop and maintain a 5 year (rolling) strategic plan for company contracting services.
- Prepare annual demand forecasts (B0 and B1) for contracting services.
- Prepare and manage the annual company contracting budget – managing costs is key to profitability in the provision of contracting services in the road maintenance sector.
- Leverage internal company capabilities to create upstream value.
- Meet annual revenue and margin deliverables as determined by the board.
- Grow market share across both jurisdictions in terms of revenue, tonnage and products.
- Ensure that the capacity of the contracting division is commensurate with the forecasted demand each year – balancing internal and external capacity
- Build and lead a team of competent professionals and managers capable of delivering on all contracting capabilities including contracts managers, commercial managers, project managers, quantity surveyors, supervisors and operatives.
- Develop internal and external capability to deliver road maintenance services across the Island of Ireland including people, plant, equipment, facilities, contracting skills and external partners.
- Design processes and systems (including IT) to support the delivery of robust, cost effective contracting solutions.
- Manage external partners; including agreements, skills, training, process consistency, delivery and quality.
- Review/upgrade contracting equipment annually.
- Maintain a fleet of mobile plant for the delivery of road maintenance services countrywide. Implement preventative maintenance and repair programmes.
- Build a positive employee culture across all contracting teams.
- Deliver exceptional customer service. Measure customer service levels proactively. Review and ensure a response to all customer complaints.
- Measure performance in the areas of productivity, quality, health & safety, costs, revenue and asset management.
- Build a culture of continuous improvement within all contracting processes.
- Apply Lean Principles to all company contracting processes.
- Develop internal capability to respond to framework or ad-hoc tenders in a timely and efficient manner (eliminating duplication etc.).
- Build/develop new market opportunities - introduce new products and methodologies to the region, adapt to the changing needs of customers.
The key KPI’s for Contracting are
- Annualised safety incidents/accidents
- Market Share
- Plant/equipment efficiency
- Process efficiency
- Net Margin
- Operating costs
- The Head of Contracting should possess a strong reputation as a proven leader with expertise in an engineering, financial, or business discipline.
- They will possess strong interpersonal skills, significant passion and vision, knowledge of and commitment to H&S and an excellent understanding of process efficiencies.
- Contracting is a dynamic and challenging business, ever changing, and requires a high energy individual to drive commercial growth and ensure on-time delivery of services.
- A dynamic, highly credible leader who has had increasing management responsibility throughout his or her career and has demonstrable success in leadership roles.
- A results-oriented manager who has strong business acumen; a good manager of people, physical assets, money and time.
- Experience attracting strong talent and building and leading high-performing teams in a results-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Commercial aptitude including knowledge of framework tendering processes.
- Outstanding communications and interpersonal skills. Someone who can clearly articulate the message and command the respect of his/her audience. Excellent customer facing skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with peers and members of the Leadership Team.
- High-level conceptual and analytical skills including an ability to interpret performance and financial and human resources data.
- Demonstrated capacity to implement continuous systems improvement.
- The successful candidate should have up to 10 years prior senior leadership experience, preferably in a contracting or high value construction environment.
- Knowledge of contracting, estimating, project management, health & safety, and out-sourcing.
- Experience of responding to Public Sector tenders is essential.
- Demonstrated business development and commercial aptitude.
- Previously reported to a general manager or CEO.
- Dynamic, highly credible leader who has had increasing administrative responsibility throughout his or her career and has demonstrable success in leadership roles.
- The Head of Contracting shall have exceptional leadership skills; strong expertise and appreciation of the road maintenance sector, procurement policy and tendering.
An undergraduate degree with an advanced degree in business, finance, engineering disciplines or quantity surveying. Demonstrated equivalent experience will be considered as an alternative to an advanced degree.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV to Niall Toland.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career. #1093066